- Dish type
- Vegetable soup
- Root vegetable soup
- Sweet potato soup
Sweet potatoes cooked in chicken stock are seasoned with with nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and cayenne in this quick and easy soup recipe. If you're making it for dinner guests, add a splash of Cointreau® and top with chopped pecans.
6 people made this
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1.4L chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau(R)
- 120ml 0% fat creme fraiche
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 25g chopped pecans
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:45min
- Place sweet potatoes into a large pot. Pour chicken stock over the sweet potatoes; bring to the boil and stir orange liqueur into the boiling soup; cook until the potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender until smooth.
- Stir in creme fraiche, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and cayenne pepper into the soup; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Toast pecans in the hot pan until fragrant.
- Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with toasted pecans.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(5)
Reviews in English (4)
I'm a novice soup maker and this recipe was easy to follow. I did add some nutmeg and a few drops of habanero hot sauce. I replaced the fat free half and half with half the amount of heavy whipping cream as it was all that I had on hand. I will be making this again!!!!-05 Apr 2016
Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet potato soup is the perfect fall and winter soup. It’s a rich blend of creamy sweet potatoes, carrots, fresh ginger, and a hint of spice. Top it off with a swirl of coconut cream, watercress, and crushed pistachios for a delicious and filling weeknight meal.
But if you’re looking for sides and proteins to serve with it, you can’t go wrong with my mashed cauliflower, green beans and crispy baked chicken thighs.
Why We Love This Sweet Potato Soup Recipe:
This sweet potato soup is veggie loaded, easy to make and SO good for you! Here’s why we love it:
- Wholesome ingredients – Typically sweet potato soup is loaded with lots of funky ingredients, heavy cream and loads of cheese. This soup doesn’t have that!
- Creaminess from veggies – Most sweet potato soup recipes have a lot of heavy cream in them, but this soup just uses NO milk! It gets all the creaminess from broth + veggies.
- Easily customizable – Whether you need to make this lower salt, lower carb.. there’s a substitution for basically everything below!
- Veggie loaded – There is one serving of veggies per serving of soup, and you can easily bulk up that amount by adding more carrots, celery or onions.
- 6 medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil-packed minced garlic
- 4 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 quart water
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt-free herb seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ cups soy milk
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
In a slow cooker, place the potatoes, onions, carrot, celery, oil-packed garlic, and bouillon cubes. Pour in the water, and season with parsley, herb seasoning blend, and Italian seasoning.
Cover slow cooker, and cook soup 3 to 4 hours on High, or 10 to 12 hours on Low. Stir in soy milk during the final 30 minutes of cook time.
Place broccoli over boiling water in a pot fitted with a steamer basket, and steam 5 minutes, or until tender but firm. Spoon into the soup to serve.
Simple Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
I love to make homemade soup! I don&apost make it nearly as often as I would like to, but it&aposs a process that I rather enjoy. I love knowing exactly what is in the soup because I made it myself and I also love being able to control factors like fat, MSG, cholesterol, and sodium content. Do you make homemade soup? If you&aposve never tried because homemade soup recipes seem tedious, expensive, and call for tons of unusual ingredients, I&aposd urge you to give this homemade potato soup recipe a try. Is homemade potato soup easy? This version is! It requires just five super simple ingredients and is ready in no time. This soup tastes like a million bucks but I barely spend $7.00 on the ingredients—split four ways, a serving of this sweet and creamy potato soup only costs about $1.75.
If you didn&apost know, I&aposm actually not a fan of sweet potatoes but I lovingly prepare them in a variety of ways for my husband. Since he loves them so, I&aposve become a bit of a collector of recipes with sweet potatoes. This recipe is one of the easiest sweet potato dishes I make and believe it or not, this is a dish that I enjoy to eat. Keep that in mind if you yourself don&apost care for sweet potatoes or would like to prepare this soup but worry about eating it all by yourself because of another sweet-potato-hater in your household. The other ingredients do a fantastic job of turning down the sweetness and in a blind taste test, I wouldn&apost immediately guess that this soup recipe is made with sweet potatoes.
Savory sweet potato soup
This is a very easy-to-make soup that uses mostly pantry staples. It's perfect for busy weeknights, as it's made with only leeks (or onion), garlic, sweet potatoes, spices and broth or water. The soup also comes together quickly, needing only about 10 minutes of simmering time on the stove. (p.s. For slow cooker soup ideas, check out my book, Fresh Flavors for the Slow Cooker!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4cm/1½ inches fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 700g/1lb 10oz sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1.2 litres/2 pints vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large, lidded saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook until softened. Stir in the ginger, garlic and chilli flakes and fry for 2–3 minutes, or until fragrant.
Stir in the sweet potatoes and stock. Turn up the heat and bring the pan to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes, or until the sweet potato is tender.
Remove the pan from the heat and blend the soup, using a stick blender, until smooth. Alternatively, tip it into a food processor and blend. Season to taste and serve.
Freeze in individual portions for up to three months. Defrost completely before heating through in a saucepan or in the microwave.
For fun garnishes, drizzle a little coconut milk or cream into each bowl, or sprinkle over some freshly chopped coriander, or fry up a pinch of cumin seeds and chilli flakes in a little oil and swirl into the soup.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup
After making this recipe as written, I made it again a week later – as an instant pot sweet potato soup! This takes about 20 minutes off the total cook time, making this even better for busy weeknights.
See the recipe notes for cooking times and instructions, including very carefully releasing the steam and carefully blending with a stick blender.
Easy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Over Christmas break I got to enjoy being cooked for every night by my talented mommy. She made a delicious sweet potato soup for us which inspired me to try my hand at making my own. I don’t like to fuss a bunch over food so my number one requirement is that it has to be quick and easy. This easy sweet potato soup recipe is sure to please and only takes about 20 minutes to make!
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 large or two small (1 1/2 cups approximately) cooked sweet potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup half and half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Top with thyme
- Using a knife or fork, heavily score (stab) your potato all over to aid in cooking. I cooked the sweet potato (a huge one) in the microwave using my "potato" cooking button and set it at "2 potatoes". (If you don't have a handy "potato" button on your microwave, try cooking it for about 8-10 minutes and add time as necessary.)
- Next, cut the potato in half and scoop out the cooked potato with a large spoon. Place the cooked potato in a mixer (Cuisinart, blender, hand mixer, Magic Bullet, will work---or if you have a hand mixer you can mash them right in the pot) with a tiny bit of water until completely smooth.
- Place the tablespoon of flour and butter in a saucepan and whisk together over medium-low heat continuously until the roux achieves a light caramel color.
- Now add the broth and brown sugar, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
- Stir in the mashed sweet potatoes and spices, bring to a simmer again, and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the half and half and reheat soup. Season with salt and pepper, top with fresh or dried thyme and serve. This made two large servings for us. (Recipe adapted from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cooking-live/sweet-potato-soup-recipe/index.html)
Serve with a side salad and crusty bread for a yummy lunch or light dinner :).
Coconut Milk Sweet Potato Soup
I discovered Silk Nutchello this week. It comes in 3 delicious nut-based flavors that my entire household has been loving since I brought them home! The Caramel Almond & Cashew is my husband’s favorite! It is blended up rich caramel flavor, toasted almonds and creamy cashews to create the ultimate pause button in a glass. The Dark Chocolate & Walnut is my daughters favorite because well…it’s chocolate! The Toasted Coconut & Cashew is my favorite and my choice to pair with this Sweet Potato Soup vegan recipe. I initially was only going to pair it with the meal, but after making the recipe a few times, I realized that it tastes great in the soup too!
Sweet Potatoes are such a wondering veggie that melts perfectly into these Easy Roasted Veggies. They are an awesome side dish to another vegan main course, Mediterranean Zucchini Pasta Noodles.