- Oily fish
Make these easy salmon cakes with either tinned or leftover salmon for a healthy, budget friendly meal. Kids love them, too.
122 people made this
- 220g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons chopped spring onions
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (418g) tin salmon, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:8min ›Ready in:18min
- In a large mixing bowl, place 3/4 of the breadcrumbs. Set aside remaining 1/4. Add eggs, parsley, spring onions, dill, lemon juice and black pepper. Mix well.
- Add salmon and mix with hands, breaking up salmon into small pieces. Form into 8 patties; each about 1.5cm thick.
- Place remaining breadcrumbs on a plate and dip both sides of the salmon cakes into crumbs.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter. Fry salmon cakes over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Turn, adding more butter if necessary, and fry about 3 minutes on other side.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(135)
Reviews in English (103)
:-very nice and easy-15 Aug 2011
The first time I cooked this recipe, I found it decent but a little bland. On second time I substituted a pound of fresh salmon, poached, for the canned and threw 2 tsps "Old Bay Seasoning" (available in most grocery stores) in the mixture, and found that this worked wonders!-14 Jan 2002
I found the original recipe a little bland and dry, but the ideas this recipe spawned lead me to this.I substituted fresh salmon that I pulsed in the food processor; (to form small chunks) used fresh bread crumbs along with a couple of tsps of Old Bay.The cakes I made were thin,(like 6 oz hamburger patties) so the salmon would cook before they browned too much.I cooked them using half butter and oil.It imparts a little better flavor then oil alone.They were extremely moist!!!I've used two sauces: first, I tried a dill flavored Hollandaise.Quite nice.Next, I made a Brown Butter and found the nutty flavor worked great.-31 Oct 2007