- Meat and poultry
- Cuts of chicken
- Whole chicken
- Whole roast chicken
An otherwise typical roast chicken is given a Caribbean makeover with rum, lime juice and an array of spices.
261 people made this
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 60ml rum
- 1 tablespoon dark brown soft sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 (1.25kg) whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:1hr30min ›Extra time:10min resting › Ready in:1hr55min
- Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas 3.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, rum and dark brown soft sugar; set aside. Mix together the cayenne pepper, clove, cinnamon, ginger, pepper, salt and thyme leaves. Brush the chicken with oil, then coat with the spice mixture.
- Place in a roasting tin, and bake about 90 minutes, until the juices run clear. Baste the chicken with the lime-rum mixture every 20 minutes while it's cooking. Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Watch our video to see how to make a perfectly roasted chicken every time. Watch now!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(240)
Reviews in English (198)
Hi Marsh8, many thanks for your review! The original recipe did say to "Baste the chicken with the sauce", but we've made it clearer by specifying "Baste the chicken with the rum-lime mixture".-16 Apr 2013
I tried this last night and overall it was good BUT the main problem was that the recipe didn't say what to do with the rum mixture.I mixed everything together and then put the chicken in a cooking bag leaving the chicken to crisp up at the end for 15 mins with the bag open.The taste was great but I'd like to know the "entire" recipe. Overall "Good effort" Thanks for the extra info!I've changed the rating to 4 stars as we ate the chicken cold the following day and it was even better than before-12 Apr 2013
This recipe was so good that my dad said he wanted me to make it again, twice in a week! That's very rare in my family especially since we always eat the same things (chicken, pasta, etc.) I made some changed to the recipe though. I didn't have lime juice or rum so i used lemon juice and tequila. I also put on the spices the night before and put it into the fridge so it could "marinate" sorta. and I put the spices underneath the skin (i did this by pulling some of the skin from the breast and put the spices under there and rubbed) so the taste would be amazing! Before i even into the oven, i put even more of the same spices on! I basted it for the time it said then i turned the temperature up to 450 so the skin could be crispy.BOY! this was delicious! I've made it two times and my family LOVES it!!!I think it would be great with cooked carrots with a touch of lemon on them and some white rice. yumm!!Thanks for the recipe.-09 Nov 2008